- In press. Ten‐year assessment of the 100 priority questions for global biodiversity conservation. with Jucker, T. et al. Conservation Biology, x:x–x | Document (Open access)
- 2018. When and how to use Q methodology to understand perspectives in conservation research. Zabala, A., Sandbrook, C. and Mukherjee, N. Conservation Biology, 32(5):1185–1194 | Document (Open access)
- 2018. Comparison of techniques for eliciting views and judgements in decision-making. Mukherjee, N., Zabala, A. et al. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 9:54–63 | Document (Open access)
- 2018. Multilevel assessment of a large-scale programme for poverty alleviation and wetland conservation: lessons from South Africa. Zabala, A., Sullivan, C.A., Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 61(3):493–514 | Document | Accepted version (free)
- 2017. Perceptions across scales of governance and the Indonesian peatland fires. Carmenta, R., Zabala, A., Daeli, W., Phelps, J. Global Environmental Change, 46, 50–59 | Document (Open access)
- 2017. Payments for pioneers? Revisiting the role of external rewards for sustainable innovation under heterogeneous motivations. Zabala, A., Pascual, U., García-Barrios, L.E., Ecological Economics, 135:234–245 | Document | Accepted version (free)
- 2016. The human dimension of peatland fires: understanding the perspectives of stakeholders at different scales. Carmenta, R., Zabala, A., Daely, W., Phelps., J., LESTARI Journal Vol 1. (In Bahasa-Indonesia) | Document (Open access)
- 2016. Bootstrapping Q methodology to improve the understanding of human perspectives. Zabala, A., Pascual, U., PLoS One, 11(2):e0148087 | Document (Open access)
- 2016. Precolonial institutions and deforestation in Africa. Larcom, S., van Gevelt, T., Zabala, A., Land Use Policy, 51:150–161 | Document
- 2014. qmethod: a package to analyse human perspectives using Q methodology. Zabala, A., The R Journal, 6(2):163-173 | Document (Open access)
- 2009. Walking the green carpet to work (A multicriteria analysis of policy measures to promote sustainable transport to industrial estates). Zabala, A., International Journal of Sustainable Development, 12(1):78 | Document
- 2008. Integrating multiple perspectives in social multicriteria evaluation of flood-mitigation alternatives: the case of Malborghetto-Valbruna. Scolobig, A., Castan-Broto, V., & Zabala, A., Environment and Planning C: Government & Policy, 26(6):1143-1161 | Document
- PhD. Zabala, A., 2015. Motivations and incentives for pro-environmental behaviour: the case of silvopasture adoption in the tropical forest frontier. Department of Land Economy, University of Cambridge. Passed without corrections | Document
- MSc. Zabala, A., 2007. From macro to micro. An evaluation of the Working for Wetlands programme and its implementation in Seekoeivlei, South Africa. Oxford University Centre for the Environment.
- BSc. Zabala, A., 2005. Biosecurity and biodiversity conservation: an analysis of the international negotiations of plant genetic diversity (CBD, Cartagena Protocol and the FAO-Plant Treaty). Faculty of Sciences and Faculty of Politics, Autonomous University of Barcelona (in Spanish). Grade of 10 over 10 |
- Sullivan, C. A., Dickens, C., Mander, M., Bonjean, M., Macfarlane, D., Bharwani, S., Matin, N., van Nieukerk, K., Diederichs, N., Taylor, A., King-Okumu, M. S. C., Kranz, N., Bisaro, S., Zabala, A., Romero, A., Huntjens, P., Knoesen, D., 2010. Promoting adaptive water management in the Orange Senqu river basin: a NeWater case study.
In J. Mysiak, C. Pahl-Wostl, & C. A. Sullivan (Eds.), The Adaptive Water Resource Management Handbook (pp. 169-182). London: Earthscan | Document
Selected conference presentations
- INVITED: Zabala, A., 2013.
Are environment and development policies effective? Highlights from fieldwork in rural communities in Mexico and South Africa. Cambridge International Development Conference, Dec 2013, Cambridge. Emerging Researchers Roundtable | Briefing
- Zabala, A., Garcia-Barrios, L E., Pascual, U., 2013.
Understanding the Role of Livelihoods in the Adoption of Silvopasture in the Tropical Forest Frontier. 15th Annual BIOECON Conference. 18-20 Sep 2013, Cambridge | Document
- Zabala, A., Sullivan, C., 2013. Analysis of a national programme for wetland rehabilitation in South Africa: lessons for environment and development policies. 10th biennial conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics. 18-21 Jun 2013 Lille | Summary
- INVITED: Zabala, A., Pascual, U., Garcia-Barrios, L E., 2013. The implications of heterogeneous perspectives for the adoption of silvopasture in the tropical forest frontier. I International Symposium of the SRUK, Society of Spanish Researchers in the UK | **Best Abstract in the Social Sciences & Humanities**
- Zabala, A., Pascual, U., & Garcia-Barrios, L. E., 2012. Disentangling landusers’ perspectives for the adoption of silvopastoral practices: lessons for targeting conservation payments in the tropical forest frontier. 12th Conference of the International Society for Ecological Economics. Rio de Janeiro | Document
- Zabala, A., 2011. A Q methodology study of farmers’ perspectives on forest conservation. PhD conference in Land Economy. Cambridge.
- INVITED: Zabala, A., 2005. The website of the Degree of Environmental Sciences at UAB. I CampusRed Congress of Education and Research Online. Bilbao.
- Zabala, A., 2013. Seeking permanence as an alternative goal to maximizing profits in economic appraisal. 10th biennial conference of the European Society for Ecological Economics. 18-21 Jun 2013 Lille | **Best Poster Award** | Poster
- Zabala, A., Pascual, U., García-Barrios, L E., 2012. Payments for pioneers? Acknowledging farmers’ perspective heterogeneity to avoid emissions from land-use changes in the tropical forest frontier. Tyndall PhD conference April 2012 and Klimagune conference, Bilbao, 8 June 2012 | Poster
- Zabala, A., 2012. Rewards for Ecosystem Services and Adoption of Sustainable Land Use Practices in Social-Ecological Systems. Zero Carbon Society Food for Thought lunchtime talks | Presentation
- Zabala, A., 2012. Payments for pioneers? Acknowledging farmers’ perspective heterogeneity to enhance silvopastoral adoption policies in the tropical forest frontier. Seminar at the 4CMR – Cambridge Centre for Climate Change Mitigation Research.
- Zabala, A., 2012. (Non-)Adoption of silvopastoral systems in the tropical forest frontier: a simple micro-econometric analysis. Land Economy lunchtime PhD seminar.
- Zabala, A., 2012. Symposium review: Economics as if life mattered. Newsletter of the European Society for Ecological Economics | Article
- Garcia-Barrios, L., Cruz-Morales, J., Morales, C., Trujillo-Vazquez, R., Valdivieso, A., Vides, E., Valencia, V., Waterman, A., Zabala, A., 2011. Desarrollo participativo de buenas practicas para el uso y manejo de arboles en la ganaderia y la agricultura (pp. 1-16). San Cristobal de las Casas: ECOSUR-UACH. Participative development of good practices for the use and management of trees for cattle-farming and agriculture.
- Zabala, A., 2008. From macro to micro: environmental policy and ‘the poorest of the poor’ in Seekoeivlei, South Africa. Executive summary. 1-7 | Document
- Zabala, A., 2008. Working for Wetlands in Seekoeivlei. Basic report of fieldwork results. 1-35.
- Scolobig, A., Castán-Broto, V., & Zabala, A., 2007. Social actors’ perspectives on flood mitigation in Malborghetto-Valbruna, Northern Italy. Programma Emergenze di Massa, Quaderno 07-1, Gorizia: ISIG, 1-23.
- Zabala, A., 2005. On carbon emissions after Kyoto. Web article for the Catalan Society of Geography | Article